Got Questions? Talk to Us! 718-639-5475

google translate icon2

The opinions expressed in this column are not intended to substitute legal advice given after all relevant facts are considered. Readers who wish more detailed and specific answers to their questions are requested to provide all details of their problems. Please feel free to send us a message.

Q. I am a Nursing graduate and a Registered Nurse. How do I apply and qualify for a job in the United States?
A. A simple letter of application to apply for a job as a Nurse indicating your e-mail address/mailing address/phone numbers will suffice. We shall send you a list of requirements for you to furnish us.
Q. How long will it take for you to process my application, assuming I have complied with all your requirements?
A. Immediately upon receipt thereof or completion of the requirements.
Q. What is the average salary range of nurses in the United States?
A. The State of New York, being a premier location pays a higher salary range.
Q. Do you give “Cash Advances” to applicants to defray their expenses?
A. Strictly speaking, “No” However, United Staffing Registry, Inc. has a “Financial Assistance Program,” applicable on a case-to-case basis or the merits of each case.
Q. How about financial assistance for the plane fare?
A. Yes. We have a “Fly-Now-Pay-Later” Plan for you and your immediate family.
Q. What are the terms of payment for all loans, cash advances, or financial assistance received from the company?
A. Payment is made under the very easiest of terms, payable weekly.
Q. What is the term or period of employment with your company?
A. Three (3) years only. The nurse can stay after the expiration of the term.
Q. When we arrive in the United States, where will we stay?
A. United Staffing Registry, Inc. will provide “FREE HOUSING ACCOMMODATION” for two (2) months
Q. What is a health care certificate/visa screen?
A. It is a requirement created under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (IIRAIRA) for non-immigrant and immigrant health workers. Any health care worker seeking entry into the USA primarily to work in the such field shall be inadmissible without such certificate/visa screen.
Q. What is the period of validity of a healthcare certificate/visa screen?
A. Five (5) years.
Q. When do I need to present the health care certificate/visa screen?
A. At the time you appear before the consul for your visa interview. If you are already in the US at the time you file your adjustment of status application.
Q. The immigrant petition filed by my prospective employer is already approved, but I do not have a health care certificate/visa screen yet. Will the consulate give me a visa?
A. No.
Q. Do you think the USA will continue to need foreign registered nurses?
A. Yes
Q. What is the meaning of “adjustment of status”?
A. It refers to a process by which an alien who is in the United States “adjusts” his/her non-immigrant status (i.e. B12, L1, etc.) to permanent resident status (“green card” status). As a general rule, only aliens with a legal immigration status are eligible for “adjustment of status”.
Q. What does “change of status” mean?
A. It refers to a process by which an alien who is in the United States on a non-immigrant status (i.e. F1) applies to “change” to another non-immigrant category status (i.e. B2). Unless a delay in filing is excused, only aliens with valid non-immigrant status can change their status.
Q. Can my petitioner’s prospective employer expedite the processing of the immigrant (I-140) petition?
A. Yes.
Q. What occupations are covered by the health care certificate/visa screen requirement?

A. They are:

  • Registered Nurses (RN)
  • Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN)
  • Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN)
  • Occupational Therapists (OT)
  • Physical Therapists (PT)
  • Speech Language Pathologists
  • Audiologists
  • Medical Technologists
  • Physician Assistants
  • Medical Technicians
Doctor holding a record and smiling